Re: About the European MES-2 subset

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 07:13:06 EDT

    On 18/07/2003 03:16, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >I still note that modern Hebrew and Arabic are excluded from MES-2,
    >as they are not used in any official language in the European Union
    >or EFTA, or future EU candidates. ...

    But they are used in official publications within the EU, those targeted
    at minority communities. But then so are south Asian and east Asian scripts.

    >... But They are certainly of great
    >interest for countries with which the EU is a major partner, and which
    >are using these scripts. In some future, it would be needed to include
    >support for modern Georgian (a subset of U+10A0..U+10FF), and modern
    >Armenian (a subset of U+0530..U+058F), as well as some characters
    >from Cyrillic Supplementary (in U+0500..U+052F).

    If this subset is to be enlarged very much, and to require complex
    script rendering etc for its implementation, surely there is little
    point in specifying anything less than the improper (in the mathematical
    sense!) subset which Ken mentioned, i.e. the whole of Unicode.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com