FW: Using UniCode & International Charecters with Peachtree Accounting Program

From: Magda Danish \(Unicode\) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 20:46:54 EDT

    Hi,
    Can anyone on the list help me respond to this inquiry?
    Thanks
    Magda

    ________________________________

    Date/Time: Sat Jul 19 16:38:16 EDT 2003
    Contact: ttobgy@link.net
    Report Type: Other Question, Problem, or Feedback

    Using UniCode & International Charecters with Peachtree Accounting Program

    Up to Peachtrre Version 2003 we were able to use Unicode
    for entering International Charecters, such as Arabic,
    in the description field of Invoices, Receipts, Purchase
    and Payments. We enter Arabic text in the description
    field and were able to use peachtree succesfuly for our
    company's accounting.
    With version 2004 Unicode charecters are displayed as
    empty square boxes. it appears that the font used in
    input templates has changed and does not allow for
    foreign characters to display correctly.

    Unicode, to my understanding, was adopted by Microsoft in
    Windows 2000 and Windows XP and is a character set for
    protocols evolving beyond the use of ASCII, that enables
    a far greater range of names and characters than can be
    achieved using ASCII or extended ASCII encoding for
    character data. If we type Unicode in the search box of
    Windows XP Help, we will find this explained.

    Windows XP has a language bar that can be used to switch
    the language (using Unicode) and that makes us able to
    enter characters in whatever language is installed
    besides English. My Regional setting in the Control Panel
    is set correctly and Arabic works in most other Programs
    including Peachtree Complete 2003. The print driver is
    set correctly and prints Arabic correctly even with
    Peachtree Premium 2004 as it did with version 2003

    In previous versions of Peachtree up to version 2003 we
    were able to enter foreign Characters in the description
    field of Invoices, Receipts, Purchase and Payments.
    With version 2004, it appears that the font used in input
    templates has changed and does not allow for foreign
    characters to display correctly.
    In PPA 2004 Foreign characters are displayed as empty
    square boxes when we activate the extended characters by
    pressing Alt+Shift (or changing the language from the
    language bar) This problem does not happen with PCA 2003
    on the same computer and with all other programs. It
    appears that the font used in these input templates is
    not the same font used in previous versions of Peachtree.

    How can this problem be solved ?

    (End of Report)