Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 18:49:20 EDT

    On 23/07/2003 15:07, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >And if the implementers of rendering engines will simply "paint"
    >instances of U+034F so that they become available to the font
    >side of the rendering equation, then it should be relatively
    >simple, as for the Biblical Hebrew point sequence cases, to
    >get the <lamed, patah, CGJ, hiriq> sequences to display properly.

    Out of interest, it seems that Microsoft's Uniscribe, in several
    versions up to and including the latest (not generally released) version
    1.468.4015.0, does in fact seem to do this. I have tried rendering

    יְרוּשָׁלַ͏ִם

    (Yerushala(y)im with CGJ) with different versions of Uniscribe (on
    Windows 2000). In each case CGJ is rendered as a square box in each of
    several fonts. This behaviour indicates that actually Uniscribe treats
    CGJ as a regular paintable character, but it is not implemented in the
    specific fonts. So, it seems that if the font designer makes the very
    simple changes which John Hudson mentioned, "ligating" CGJ with the
    preceding character, the CGJ solution to the Hebrew problem can be
    implemented very simply, with no changes to rendering software and
    simple changes to fonts.

    So where is the serious problem with this solution? I don't see one. Nor
    do the President and the Technical Director of the Unicode Consortium.
    Perhaps the only problem was a misunderstanding of the properties of
    CGJ, which I hope has now been resolved.

    And where, for that matter, is the "host of people [who] will fight that
    proposal"? I hope they will now realise that the ogre they are fighting
    is in fact, if not a handsome prince, at least quite harmless.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com