Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 19:24:48 EDT

    At 03:49 PM 7/23/2003, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >(Yerushala(y)im with CGJ) with different versions of Uniscribe (on Windows
    >2000). In each case CGJ is rendered as a square box in each of several
    >fonts. This behaviour indicates that actually Uniscribe treats CGJ as a
    >regular paintable character, but it is not implemented in the specific
    >fonts. So, it seems that if the font designer makes the very simple
    >changes which John Hudson mentioned, "ligating" CGJ with the preceding
    >character, the CGJ solution to the Hebrew problem can be implemented very
    >simply, with no changes to rendering software and simple changes to fonts.
    >
    >So where is the serious problem with this solution? I don't see one. Nor
    >do the President and the Technical Director of the Unicode Consortium.
    >Perhaps the only problem was a misunderstanding of the properties of CGJ,
    >which I hope has now been resolved.

    That would be nice indeed. I'm going to test this, but will need to add CGJ
    to my font first. I'll report back in a few days.

    As Peter Constable noted, though, we need to be sure that the use of CGJ in
    this context is clearly defined and, most importantly, is not going to
    conflict with other possible uses. Uniscribe may, in fact, handle the
    character in a way that works now, but if so we need to confirm that this
    is intentional and is not going to change.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    The sight of James Cox from the BBC's World at One,
    interviewing Robin Oakley, CNN's man in Europe,
    surrounded by a scrum of furiously scribbling print
    journalists will stand for some time as the apogee of
    media cannibalism.
                             - Emma Brockes, at the EU summit