Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 19:12:07 EDT

    At 03:07 PM 7/23/2003, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >And if the implementers of rendering engines will simply "paint"
    >instances of U+034F so that they become available to the font
    >side of the rendering equation, then it should be relatively
    >simple, as for the Biblical Hebrew point sequence cases, to
    >get the <lamed, patah, CGJ, hiriq> sequences to display properly.

    Yes, if the CGJ is painted, I'm home free :)

    Unicode may treat CGJ as a 'mark', but if we don't treat it as a mark in
    the font GDEF table we can ligate it away during glyph composition, e.g.:

             lamed CGJ -> lamed [ignore marks]

    and then never have to worry about it again during mark positioning. I
    would have to add it to my font, but apart from that I don't see any
    problems from the font side. Paul may have concerns from the script engine
    side: I'm not sure how a 'mark' that is ignored in search operations etc.
    fits with the general understanding of mark behaviour.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    The sight of James Cox from the BBC's World at One,
    interviewing Robin Oakley, CNN's man in Europe,
    surrounded by a scrum of furiously scribbling print
    journalists will stand for some time as the apogee of
    media cannibalism.
                             - Emma Brockes, at the EU summit