Re: Hebrew hataf vowels (was: About CGJ)

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 16:57:43 EDT

    On 24/07/2003 12:10, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    >Of course, one of the nasty details in all these suggestions is that, if we
    >do start using CGJ in the way suggested and also get a new character RIGHT
    >METEG (for which we need to dream up an appropriate combining class -- pick
    >a number from 1 to 199!),...

    I'll narrow the field a bit. As right meteg should appear to the right
    of sheva and every other low vowel and cantillation mark, its combining
    class should be less than 10.

    >... then we need to consider what the significance
    >(if any) will be of the distinctions between (e.g.)
    >
    >QAMETS + RIGHT METEG
    >QAMETS + CGJ + RIGHT METEG
    >RIGHT METEG + QAMETS
    >RIGHT METEG + CGJ + QAMETS
    >
    >Of course, we'll probably just disregard RIGHT METEG + (CGJ + ) QAMETS +
    >(CGJ + ) METEG and variations thereof as just sequences with no linguistic
    >meaning (i.e. misspellings).

    My first impression would be this:

    1. right meteg + qamets would be normal, and canonical order.
    2. qamets + right meteg would be canonically equivalent to 1 and so
    should be displayed the same.
    3. right meteg + CGJ + qamets should be displayed the same as 1.
    4. qamets + CGJ + right meteg should be considered a spelling error, or
    perhaps be displayed the same as 6.

    5. meteg + qamets would be canonically equivalent to 6 and so should be
    displayed the same.
    6. qamets + meteg would be normal, and canonical order.
    7. meteg + CGJ + qamets should either be considered a spelling error, or
    be displayed the same as 1.
    8. qamets + CGJ + meteg should be displayed the same as 6.

    But then if this use of CGJ is accepted, right meteg could be encoded
    regularly as 7 and the special right meteg character would be redundant.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com