[OT] Re: Damn'd fools

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 11:14:45 EDT

    ----- Message d'origine -----
    De: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com>

    > On 28/07/2003 05:34, Karljürgen Feuerherm wrote:

    [earlier, vey nested, difficult to ascribe to one of the subscribers]

> [...]

    1066 and all that stuff !

    > >I dunno, William Conqueror the Duke of Normandy sounds pretty French to
    me :-)
    > >(Of course it's a good question when do 'France' and 'French' begin.)

    Usually said to begin with the Capétiens (987) and Hugues the First. Before
    that, people tend to speak of the Franks (Western Franks after the
    Strasbourg/Strassburg Oath).

    First historical record of « Français » (franceis) in 1080 (Chanson de
    Roland) means « Frank, nobleman or a subject of the King of France». Other
    terms were also used : franc, francor (as a genitif : la langue francor),
    françal.

    > >2. I'm a 'French-speaking Canadian' and if you asked me, I'd tell you I
    was
    > >French. Because I am. So you can't ask 'any ....'
    > >
    > >(my contribution to this pedantic thread)

    > I would never have guessed from your name!

    [PA] How about my name ?

    Patrick Andries

    (Irish and Dutch forms of Latin and Greek roots !)

    - o - 0 - 0 - o -
    Unicode en français

    http://pages.infinit.net/hapax