Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Joan_Wardell@sil.org
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 15:35:10 EDT

    Ken: Speaking for Sybase products, "fixing" the combining classes of the
    existing vowels would have *no* positive impacts. It would have
    a large number of negative impacts, the ultimate ramifications
    of which I cannot even follow to their eventual conclusions. ...

    I hope you will excuse my ignorance, but I do not understand how correcting
    the canonical classes is such a huge technical problem. If anyone has
    already normalized their biblical Hebrew data, they have trashed it, and it
    will have to be re-done anyway. Secondly, the Character Properties would
    appear to be one huge matrix which would be called by any software needing
    to know these. Why can't we just fix the database? :)

    I am completely ignorant of the mechanics of sorting algorithms and
    whatever types of software are required to implement canonical classes.
    However I can tell you it is no small thing to write in some kind of
    intelligence in every future keyboard, conversion table, and search engine
    for Hebrew just to identify how to undo "Yerushali-am". And having to trick
    every browser is no small feat either. And that is only one exception of
    the many that have been discussed.

    Joan Wardell
    Non-Roman Script Initiative - SIL
    Hebrew Font Project Manager