Re: Tr.: Unicode Fonts and Keyboard Drivers for Tamazight

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 16:04:21 EDT

    Thanks, Rick. The Tifinagh proposal did indeed come up there and was
    discussed a bit (it's a small list). The discussion documents page you
    mention, however, did not, so I'll pass that on.

    The announcement of the font (& keyboard layout) for the Latin-based
    trascription of Tamazight is an example I think of the great things a lot of
    groups we never heard of before can do (or attempt) with Unicode. It is
    also an example, in a small way, of the kind of pitfalls that they can run
    into - referring here to the mixing of Greek and Latin characters in what
    they use for Tamazight.

    Tamazight, and other Berber languages/dialects, can be and are written in
    Tifinagh, Arabic, and Latin scripts. A very nice summary is given by Lameen
    Souag at http://www.geocities.com/lameens/tifinagh/

    Thanks again and all the best!

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net