Re: Back to Hebrew, was OT:darn'd fools

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 17:16:39 EDT

    Joan_Wardell@sil.org scripsit:

    > This lends credence
    > to those of us who are BHS fans and would like to see a visible difference
    > between
    > holem-waw and waw-holem. The most reasonable means of achieving this is to
    > encode the holem before the waw when it is holem-waw.

    This argument is unsound. Encoding is essentially autonomous to either
    input methods or rendering methods, and it may demand things that would
    be very unintuitive to the uninstructed user who examines the encoding
    directly. There may be very good reasons for encoding holem-waw as
    other than a holem followed by a waw.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
    I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths