Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 18:47:55 EDT

    On 28/07/2003 14:37, John Cowan wrote:

    >Rick McGowan scripsit:
    >

    >>Michael Everson asked:
    >>

    >>>Do you really think that algorithm with all its warts is going to be
    >>>used 50 years from now? I really would like to know.
    >>>

    >>You want warts, Mr Everson? Well, let's take a look at some history...
    >>

    >Would the French scientists who set out to rationalize weights and measures
    >have believed that after 200 years their sensible system would dominate
    >the whole world *except one country*, the at-the-time most progressive
    >nation on Earth, deviser of the closely analogous decimal currency system?

    Well, except two countries, or more than two if you have been following
    the "damn'd fools" thread. We British resisted Napoleon and we continue
    to resist his innovations like the metric system, though we are being
    forced to make a gradual change. There are still many things which
    Napoleon managed to impose and are still uniform all the way from Calais
    to Vladivostok (because even the Russians accepted his system for a
    while), even traffic rules (drive on the right, give way to the right),
    but are different in the UK.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com