RE: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 13:36:01 EDT

    At 11:37 PM 7/28/2003, Jony Rosenne wrote:

    >Consequently, it was suggested that the several issues with Biblical Hebrew
    >recently mentioned, and several more which were not, should be solved by
    >means of markup, outside the scope of Unicode. This is how they have been
    >addressed in many of the references given. This is our recommendation.

    Perhaps you would like to expand on this? What kind of markup? How would it
    interract with fonts and rendering engines? In the 'references' to which
    you refer, how many used Unicode text encoding? As far as I know, every
    current print edition of the Hebrew Bible has used non-standard 8-bit font
    hacks to render text. These are closed systems in which text encoding,
    markup and font switching interract directly. I'm not saying that markup
    cannot or shouldn't be the solution, but I know exactly how standard
    Unicode text works with script rendering engines and smart font
    technologies, but I don't see how 'markup' fits into the same systems. This
    may well be ignorance on my part, but I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting
    more detailed explanation of how you see this working.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    The sight of James Cox from the BBC's World at One,
    interviewing Robin Oakley, CNN's man in Europe,
    surrounded by a scrum of furiously scribbling print
    journalists will stand for some time as the apogee of
    media cannibalism.
                             - Emma Brockes, at the EU summit