Re: Back to Hebrew, was OT:darn'd fools

From: Bertrand Laidain (bertrandlaidain@mac.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 15:45:43 EDT

    > At 11:52 -0400 2003-07-29, Jim Allan wrote:
    >> One the other hand, dropping diacritics from names or text written in
    >> all uppercase is considered acceptable in Quebec French (and I
    >> suspect also in France) dating from old addressograph technology and
    >> billing typewriter technology where capital letters alone were
    >> available and diacritics were not normally included as part of the
    >> character set.

    No it's not ! What is considered acceptable is dropping the diacritics
    when the capital letter is an INITIAL letter, (It's a debate also), but
    for sure when you write in ALL capitals it's definitely not ! Like
    Michal Everson said :

    Le mardi, 29 jul 2003, à 18:23 Europe/Paris, Michael Everson a écrit :
    > Then you have the old problem: what does « LE PRESIDENT ASSASSINE »
    > mean if such a practice is employed?

    I would add that I learned in school (printing school) that version «
    LE PRESIDENT ASSASSINE AU PALAIS DES CONGRES ». Here CONGRES is a
    reunion or.... a fish ! And the Président is or a murderer or... dead !

    Bertrand