French Canadian diacritics (was: Re: Back to Hebrew, etc.)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 02:40:22 EDT

    Jim Allan <jallan at smrtytrek dot com> wrote:

    > A shocking number of corporate data-bases in Canada, certainly the
    > majority, continue to maintain customer/subscriber/policy
    > holder/cardholder data only in uppercase and without diacritics.

    It's not just the private sector, either. Canada Post offers a lookup
    program that returns the name of the city or town associated with a
    given postal code, but the data doesn't include accented characters on
    French names. Their online Addressing Guide has a policy of
    "recognizing and accepting the use of upper and lower case characters,
    including accents..." but apparently their canonical representation of
    city names is accent-free. (I turned down a commercial database of
    Canadian postal codes some years ago for the same reason.)

    BTW, if anyone does know where I can find a list of Canadian cities and
    towns, with accents intact, for free or nearly free, please reply
    off-line.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/