Re: From [b-hebrew] Variant forms of vav with holem

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 09:46:54 EDT

    On 31/07/2003 03:55, Kent Karlsson wrote:

    >No, I think ZWJ may be exactly the way to go here.
    >
    ><consonant, holam, (accent), ZWJ, alef/vav> for making a 'ligature'
    >(of sorts, in a technical sence) where the holam is displayed on the
    >alef or vav. Without the ZWJ, the holam would be displayed on the
    ><consonant> to which it logically belongs. (alef and vav are base
    >characters, so the ZWJ is not breaking any combining sequence here.)
    >
    > /kent k

    This is an interesting idea, but I don't think it quite works. The
    decision whether to shift holams on to a following alef or vav is not
    something to be decided on a per occurrence basis but enforced on all
    renderers. Rather, it is a rendering decision which should be applied
    consistently, depending on context, through a whole document or style.
    So it is not something to be encoded, but something which should depend
    on the font etc.

    The distinction which does need to be encoded is between holam male and
    vav followed by holam, as many (though not all) renderers want to make
    this distinction but they can only do so if there is an encoding
    difference. It would certainly be an option to encode holam male as vav
    - ZWJ - holam or vav - CGJ - holam. But if this holam is to be encoded
    before the vav, the ZWJ is redundant.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com