Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 20:14:00 EDT

    On 04/08/2003 16:52, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >>U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE might be
    >>appropriate, but this has the problem that it is a break opportunity,
    >>which is not always appropriate.
    >>

    >U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE is not appropriate, for the same reason
    >the U+FEFF (or U+2060) is not appropriate: The Standard does
    >not specify the display of non-spacing marks on it as a means
    >of showing the marks without base characters. And, as you indicate,
    >U+200B (but also U+FEFF and U+2060) are implicated in the control
    >of line break opportunities. They are certainly not defined
    >as glyph display anchors or some such.

    Thank you for the clarification.

    >>>Their
    >>>names may be misleading; people intending to use them for any other
    >>>function should carefully read the sections of the Unicode Standard
    >>>that discuss their usage.
    >>>

    >>But which sections? Where is the index, online?
    >>

    >Patience please. The editor is paddling as fast as she can. If
    >you will refrain from clicking the remote for just a day or two
    >longer, all will be revealed.

    I will wait, and try to do so patiently.

    >>Are
    >>you surprised that I am confused?
    >>

    >No. That's why I'm spending time trying to keep making the
    >clarifications for you and others.

    Thank you. I appreciate the time you are putting into this.

    >>>The function I think you have in mind is not isolated display of
    >>>a combining mark, but rather trying to find a mechanism for
    >>>getting around the conformance strictures of the standard, to
    >>>get a combining mark to apply to a *following* base
    >>>character, rather than to a *preceding* base character.
    >>>

    >>If by "apply" in the above you mean "be positioned adjacent to",
    >>

    >No, I mean logical application, in this context.
    >
    >There are admitted deficiencies in the standard's text, even
    >now, regarding just what the "graphic interaction" for a combining
    >mark means -- that is grist for the Unicode 5.0 mill to grind
    >very finely, I suggest.
    >

    >>there
    >>is already a problem with the standard: the EXISTING Hebrew page of the
    >>standard is in contravention to its conformance strictures. This is
    >>because under the existing standard (irrespective of any changes being
    >>proposed) and in legacy encodings, the combining mark holam, which is
    >>usually graphically positioned above the preceding base character, is in
    >>certain environments, specifically when followed by a silent alef (holam
    >>male is a separate issue), graphically positioned above the following
    >>base character. But the standard has anticipated this kind of difficulty
    >>by recognising that positioning is not always consistent with logical
    >>ordering, see the note on Indic vowel signs in The Unicode Standard 4.0
    >>section 2.10, subsection "Sequence of Base Characters and Diacritics",
    >>http://www.unicode.org/book/preview/ch02.pdf.
    >>

    >Or meditate on Figure 2-3, Unicode Character Code to Rendered Glyphs.
    >That is the fundamental mandala of the standard. ;-)

    Thanks for the pointer.

    A similar issue which is not Hebrew related would be a (mythical)
    requirement to display a diacritic like 0315, 031B or 0322 in isolation.
    It would not always be appropriate to use a space or NBSP as a base
    character as this would indent the glyph from the beginning of a line in
    a way which might not be wanted. What would be the recommended encoding
    if one wanted to display one of these characters with no leading white
    space?

    >>This is a documented
    >>special case; Hebrew holam followed by silent alef is also a special
    >>case whether you like it or not, it just hasn't been documented. It
    >>could be removed, but that would require changes to every existing
    >>(ancient or modern) pointed Hebrew text.
    >>

    >The discussion of details of how to represent these sequences
    >should probably migrate back to the hebrew@unicode.org list.

    I have already copied it there.

    --
    Peter Kirk