RE: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@cs.chalmers.se)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 11:47:00 EDT

    > > U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE might be
    > > appropriate, but this has the problem that it is a break
    opportunity,
    > > which is not always appropriate.
    >
    > U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE is not appropriate, for the same reason
    > the U+FEFF (or U+2060) is not appropriate: The Standard does
    > not specify the display of non-spacing marks on it as a means
    > of showing the marks without base characters. And, as you indicate,
    > U+200B (but also U+FEFF and U+2060) are implicated in the control
    > of line break opportunities. They are certainly not defined
    > as glyph display anchors or some such.

    I see no particular *technical* problem with using WJ, though. In
    contrast
    to the suggestion of using CGJ (re. another problem) anywhere else but
    at the end of a combining sequence. CGJ has combining class 0, despite
    being invisible and not ("visually") interfering with any other
    combining
    mark. Using CGJ at a non-final position in a combining sequence puts
    in doubt the entire idea with combining classes and normal forms.

            /kent k