Re: Display of Isolated Nonspacing Marks (was Re: Questions on ZWNBS...)

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 19:11:59 EDT

    On 05/08/2003 15:53, Ted Hopp wrote:

    >On Tuesday, August 05, 2003 5:40 PM, Mark Davis wrote:
    >

    >>Where did you get the notion that space is not a base character? And
    >>base characters include those that are not control or format
    >>characters. Space is neither one.
    >>

    >Well, I think Jim Allan pointed to the source of this notion in his email of
    >a few hours ago.
    >
    >1) From the UCD:
    >0020;SPACE;Zs;...
    >
    >2) From Unicode 3, Section 4.5, third paragraph (in its entirety):
    >"Zs, Zl, and Zp are considered format characters, but their membership in
    >the Z (separator) class takes precedence over their membership in the Cf
    >class, because General Category assigns only a single value to each
    >character."
    >
    >I believe that reasonable people might reasonably conclude from factoids 1
    >and 2 that SPACE is indeed a format character.
    >
    >Reasonable, but evidently wrong. Explanation, please?
    >
    >Ted
    >
    >Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
    >ZigZag, Inc.
    >ted@newSLATE.com
    >+1-301-990-7453
    >
    >newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
    > ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/

     From what Ken says, it sounds like it will be wrong from whenever
    Unicode 4.0 is officially issued because this paragraph has been
    excised from that standard. But until then it seems to be correct, SPACE
    is indeed "considered a format character". I was misled by Jim's
    reference to the URL of the final draft (as clearly stamped on the first
    page) of 4.0, but since in fact he was quoting from 3.0 what he says can
    hardly be considered obsolete yet.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com