Re: Handwritten EURO sign (off topic?)

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 03:35:39 EDT

    Michael Everson schreef:

    > You are lucky not having to put up with bad English like "five
    euro
    > and six cent", living in the Netherlands and speaking Dutch as you
    > do.

    Funny. In our language, the euro behaves just as the guilder always
    did, that is, the very same as what you call "bad English". We can
    say "five euro and six cent" as well.
    However, I presume this is caused by a grammar rule: you're not
    talking about the coins, but about an amount of money. So if I say
    I've got 5 euro in my pocket, I mean an amount totalling to € 5.-.
    And if I say I've got 5 euros, I mean 5 of the coins.

    But you'll probably disagree, saying that it's alright with Dutch
    being another language and such, and as we're extremely off topic by
    now, I propose not continuing this thread on this list.
    If you do want to argue, you know my email address.

    Pim Blokland