Re: Display of Isolated Nonspacing Marks (was Re: Questions on ZWNBS...)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 18:48:47 EDT

    Peter Kirk responded to my plea for everyone to relax a bit:

    > >If everyone would just go off for a week or two on their
    > >August vacation, like they should be, we could all come back
    > >about Labor Day and we wouldn't have to be having these
    > >discussions. ;-)
    > >
    > >--Ken

    > OK, understood now. As the previous version is obsolete, and the new one
    > is unavailable, we can all take a break from conforming to Unicode at
    > all and take a vacation! Sounds a good idea to me ;-)

    Just in the interest of truth in advertising, the previous
    version(s) are not obsolete, but are superseded by Unicode 4.0.
           ^^^

    Applications claiming conformance to Unicode 3.0 will continue
    to claim conformance to that version, and that version is
    relevant to their claim. And so on for Unicode 3.1 and
    Unicode 3.2.

    But if and when people move on to claiming conformance to
    Unicode 4.0, then it is the text of *that* version which becomes
    relevant to their claim.

    We are simply in the inconvenient transition state where people
    are building Unicode 4.0 implementations, but the final, final
    text of the *book* (as opposed to the various UAX's and all
    the data files) is not available. There were similar
    transition periods for Unicode 1.0, Unicode 2.0, and Unicode 3.0,
    and nearly everyone understands that is the nature of things.

    So yes, please, it's time to take a vacation! >:)

    --Ken