Re: Display of Isolated Nonspacing Marks (was Re: Questions on ZWNBS...)

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 14:10:02 EDT

    On 06/08/2003 15:24, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >Like Freud's cigar, sometimes a "may" is just a "may." And I suspect
    >the phrase "any intelligent typographer" MAY generate some flak from
    >typographers on this list who consider themselves "intelligent enough"
    >yet have a different opinion.
    >
    >I'm not a typographer (intelligent or otherwise), but I'm having a tough
    >time seeing how Section 2.10 *requires* fonts and rendering engines to
    >give a space-plus-combining-diacritic combination the exact minimum
    >width of the diacritic alone, or to leave equal space before and after
    >such a combination. All I think it is saying is that, for example, the
    >combination i-plus-tilde may be wider than i alone, because tilde is
    >wider than i.

    OK, Doug, I accept that a "may" is a "may" and an implementation in
    which the tilde on an i collides with neighbouring characters is Unicode
    compliant. It's just bad typography (unless some special effect is
    intended). Any typographers on the list care to disagree? I would
    suggest that it is also bad typography for a space, diacritic
    combination to be wider than the diacritic, as long as the typographer
    realises that space is being used here as a convention and, according to
    the standard, does not have the usual properties of a space.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)