Re: Conflicting principles

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 15:58:12 EDT

    On 08/08/2003 12:35, John Cowan wrote:

    >Peter Kirk scripsit:
    >

    >>What if there is a line break between the two characters joined by a
    >>double width combining character?
    >>

    >That would be unbelievably atrocious typography. Double-width CCs are a
    >hack, but a useful hack. Creating a factitious double-width CC that is
    >actually only single width is Unicode abuse. It's *creative* abuse, to
    >be sure, but abuse nonetheless.
    >

    >>Are arbitrary line breaks in the middle of words actually permitted
    >>anyway?
    >>

    >Sure. A line-break like "pre-
    >posterous" would be encoded in English-mode Tengwar with the "e" vowel over
    >the "p" consonant at the beginning of the second line.

    Well, I'm not sure what Unicode specifies on word breaks with
    hyphenations, but I would expect such break opportunities in general
    either to be signalled by a specific soft hyphen character, or to follow
    language-specific rules. Presumably no one would put a soft hyphen in a
    meaningless position, and language-specific rules should avoid
    inappropriate splitting or define what happens to the odd diacritics.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)