Re: Display of Isolated Nonspacing Marks (was Re: Questions on ZWNBS...)

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 16:11:06 EDT

    On 08/08/2003 09:54, Jim Allan wrote:

    > It certainly makes sense that in the case of space characters that
    > have a defined width that this width is innate to the definition of
    > the character and in such a case should take precidence over the width
    > of the normally non-spacing combining character.
    >
    > I would welcome clear instructions by Unicode on this point where
    > either result would be useful in order than applications may be
    > expected to produce results that are consistent with each other. :-)

    Agreed!

    > I would think it would be consistant with Unicode for an application
    > to shrink the width of normal space followed by a diacritic such as a
    > single overdot as exact formatting behavior is not defined in such cases.

    Well, is a space followed by a diacritic actually a space, or is it the
    same code point reused or overloaded "By convention" (to quote the
    standard) for a logically distinct purpose? Some of the discussions here
    have implied the latter. Either way, the best clarification would be to
    add a character whose explicit function is to form non-spacing variants
    of diacritics.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)