IE5 displaying U+005A U+0302

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 11:54:25 EDT

  • Next message: "RE: Creating fonts for Akan language"

    While creating a new version of the document you can consult in
    < >, I noticed that IE5
    managed to do something I found quite strange while trying to display
    the HTML sequence «... Z&#770;itni ...». Somehow, the font engine
    managed to know that U+0302 is a combining character, but found no glyph
    for it in the current font (Times New Roman); as the result I got a
    hollow square superimposed on a "Z". Is this the expected behaviour?

    BTW, why did I use U+005A U+0302 instead of the precomposed U+1E90?
    Well, I could say I wanted to do things the right way, but that'd not be
    true (the following letter, f.i., is made with U+0109, not with U+0063
    U+0302). When I made the Excel transliteration table which generated
    this, some time ago, I just used all the precomposed sequences avilable
    back then, and resorted to combining marks only where no precomposed
    chracters were avaliable -- that seemed the right thing to do back then.

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin, | ()|
    <> |####|
    R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
    PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes | só me invejo de quem bebe | a água em todas as fontes |


    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sat Aug 09 2003 - 12:35:12 EDT