Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 17:14:47 EDT

    On 09/08/2003 13:41, John Cowan wrote:

    >Peter Kirk scripsit:
    >

    >>The gap may not be large, but Philippe, John H and I have identified a
    >>real gap. Why this antagonism against filling it?
    >>

    >What you have identified is a set of implementation defects, not problems
    >with the Unicode Standard. The standard way to do what you want is to
    >precede the combining mark with SP or NBSP. If that "doesn't work", then
    >the implementation that makes it not work needs to be fixed.

    Tell Microsoft! (See Noah Levitt's posting.)

    If this is indeed "The standard way to do what you want", then the
    standard needs to make it clear that the sequence of <space, combining
    mark> or <NBSP, combining mark> has the properties which I want, i.e. it
    has the width of the combining mark alone, and not the full width of a
    space, and does not expand for justification, is not a line breaking
    opportunity, does not in fact have any of the properties of a space. I
    expect to see such a clarification in the next edition of the Unicode
    Standard.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)