Re: [hebrew] Re: Roadmap---Mandaic, Early Aramaic, Samaritan

From: ekeown@student.umass.edu
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 19:30:44 EDT

               Elaine Keown
               Madison

    Dearest Michael,

    > I really, really, really don't have time to debug your
    > dissatisfaction with the use of the word "Aramaic" in the Roadmaps.
    > This is NOT something anyone is working actively on right now. When a

    I'm not writing about nomenclature---not the point all.
    I'm objecting to your endlessly fracturing such closely related
    scripts into completely different blocks, thus making Afroasiatic
    even harder to handle than it has to be.

    During this short period, when I am on this list and receiving
    the enormous volume of mail, I am stating things that I will not be
    around much to state.

    You have no Semitists in your e-world, there is no one to fight you,
    no one except me and a few Hebraists care about the fate of
    electronic Afroasiatic.

    > The borders we draw are based on the analyses of script experts.

    You've never had a Semitic script expert, that's the problem.

    If you continue at the rate you are going, you will continue to
    build codes that will torture me until I die.

    This isn't an abstract and charming problem, like the conlangs,
    these are real languages and real software will be built for them.
    Maybe you have little interest in our small user community, but we are
    at least as large as the Samaritan one, although I admit they
    have far more interesting customs.

    Elaine