RE: Newbie Question - what are all those duplicated characters FOR?

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@cs.chalmers.se)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 07:00:44 EDT

    > Stefan has effectively dealt with SOME of my confusion, but questions
    > remain. For example: between 1D49C (mathematical script capital A) and
    > 1D49E(mathematical script capital C) we find 1D49D
    > (<reserved>). What is it
    > reserved for? I am aware that codepoint 212C is script
    > capital B, but why
    > does that justify leaving a "hole" in the codepoint space?

    Presumably to make conversion between ASCII letters and
    "math letters" a little bit simpler. (The "math letters" is a
    bad idea, but I won't go into that here.)

    > More questions. From E0020 to E007E we have "tag space"
    > through to "tag
    > tilde". These are copies of the Basic Latin block at 0020. I
    > still don't
    > know what they are for.

    For political reasons, basically. Note that they are invisible "format"
    characters, default ignorable, and should only be used by "protocols"
    that specify that they be used. There is no such protocol, however.
    Please DON'T consider using them.

            /kent k