Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 14:46:12 EDT

    At 10:58 -0700 2003-08-11, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >On 11/08/2003 06:59, Jon Hanna wrote:
    >
    >>There are only two theoretical problems that I can see here, the first is
    >>that a whitespace character other than space gets converted to space by
    >>attribute value normalisation, and that this changes the meaning of the text
    >>in some way. This could only occur if the combining character were the first
    >>character in a line of text, which is quite a nonsensical construct to begin
    >>with.
    >>
    >Not at all! Imagine a tutorial on a language, which might well list
    >the accents used, in a format like this:
    >
    >` (grave accent) is used with a, e and o, and indicates more open
    >pronunciation
    >^ (circumflex accent) is used with any vowel, and indicates lengthening
    >
    >So far so good, but when I get to an accent with no predefined
    >spacing variant, I have a problem!

    It has been explained the mechanism for doing this, and it has been
    explained that if it is not implemented correctly you should yell at
    the implementors.

    In Mac OS X, for instance, the horizontal spacing seems to work all
    right for many accents, but they seem to prefer to rest just above
    the baseline. I'll report this as a rendering bug.