Re: [hebrew] Re: Roadmap---Mandaic, Early Aramaic, Samaritan

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 14:50:17 EDT

    On 11/08/2003 06:13, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    >Elaine Keown wrote on 08/10/2003 06:30:44 PM:
    >

    >>During this short period, when I am on this list and receiving
    >>the enormous volume of mail, I am stating things that I will not be
    >>around much to state.
    >>

    >Therein lies a problem in attitude: encoding of scripts, and doing it well,
    >takes an on-going commitment and presence from people who have expertise on
    >the scripts in question. It does not happen if an expert sticks her/his
    >head in the door momentarily, makes a few comments and then disappears.

    Good point, Peter.

    But suppose someone like Elaine or myself wants to offer their expertise
    on a specific script or script family as an ongoing commitment. Is there
    a way they can do so without having to receive dozens of messsages every
    day on the Unicode list, the vast majority of which have nothing to do
    with their specific area of expertise?

    Maybe the script specific mailing lists are the answer. But is their
    existence an ongoing commitment, or just a temporary reaction to a
    temporary burst of activity?

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)