RE: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Jon Hanna (jon@spin.ie)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 12:38:24 EDT

    > The only way to bypass this would be to use entitiy references to encode
    > the base space needed by the Unicode convention, so this is related to
    > what Unicode defines as a higher level protocol, needed here to bypass
    > the limitations of basic text. However it still creates a problem within
    > CDATA sections, which are not supposed to contain entity references.
    > One needs then to use the XML CDATA escaping mechanism with
    > another escaping system specific to CDATA sections (which are
    > formally anonymous text elements and equivalent to them).

    Wow!

    You can't have a CDATA section within or containing a name or nmtoken.
    You can't have an entity reference within element or attribute names, the
    most common use of names.
    You don't want an entity reference with any other name or within an nmtoken,
    it would be very poor design to use characters that were awkward for
    developers (the only people who would ever have to deal with this stuff at
    that level) to type.
    CDATA sections aren't affected by the part of white-space handling we are
    discussing.

    The idea of creating an escaping mechanism specific to (or at all applicable
    to) CDATA sections is mind-hurtingly bad even in hypothetical terms.