Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 17:11:29 EDT

    From: "John Cowan" <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    > Peter Kirk scripsit:
    > > On 13/08/2003 11:09, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > >
    > > >... For this reason, defective
    > > >combining sequences (combining characters without a leading base
    > > >character) should be forbidden (invalid for XML).
    > > >

    > > If there is even the remotest possibility of this happening, we need
    > > know quickly!
    >
    > As a member of the XML Core Working Group of the W3C, I can assure you
    that
    > there is not even the remotest possibility of it.

    OK, "forbidden" is possibly excessive.
    Do you prefer the terms "strongly discouraged in favor of a new
    encoding" that
    could be used by applications that are concerned by security and parsing
    issues?
    If there's no such new encoding proposed, at least XML Core WG members
    could
    discuss about the way to solve the security problems. There may exist
    some
    solutions which I did not think about...