Re: Unicode 4.0 is online at last!

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 13:04:00 EDT

    On 11/08/2003 17:37, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >Well, I've been promising that good things would come
    >to those who wait. ;-)
    >
    >At last, the Unicode website has been updated with the
    >online chapters for Unicode 4.0. See:
    >
    >http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/
    >
    >Or just go to the Unicode 4.0 link from the home page.
    >
    >Enjoy.
    >
    >--Ken
    >
    >P.S. Just FYI, Peter K., now it is o.k. for everyone to come
    >back from their August Unicode vacations. Let the
    >textual criticism begin!

    The documentation is great, but I have had some problems copying text
    from it (with Acrobat Reader 5), in particular with text in small
    capitals e.g. Unicode character names. For example, I get the following
    from p.44:

    The sequence of Unicode characters U+0061 “a” 
       + U+0308 “!”  + U+0075 “u”  
    
     unambiguously encodes “äu” not “aü”.

    I mentioned this on another list, and received the following as part of
    a reply from an expert on PDF format:

    >>For example, here is some text copied and pasted from the Unicode
    >>Standard, p.44, http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/ch02.pdf:
    >>

    > Interesting choice, since this document was NOT produced
    >using a Unicode-aware authoring tool - they used FrameMaker 6, which
    >doesn't do Unicode.
    >
    > FrameMaker was able to pass enough information into Acrobat
    >Distiller so that SOME of the fonts used have ToUnicode tables - but
    >they appear to be limited to symbol fonts and a few extra glyphs...
    >
    > Therefore, without this information in the PDF, Acrobat is
    >(understandably) unable to properly extract Unicode-based information
    >from the document.

    Interesting and a little embarrassing that Unicode's own documentation
    is not Unicode compatible!

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)