RE: Handwritten EURO sign (off topic?)

From: Jon Hanna (jon@spin.ie)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 10:15:12 EDT

    > > They aren’t really SI preficies in this context. Milli, centi, kilo,
    > > mega and giga (at least) have part of the global lexicon; terra is
    > ^^^^^
    > > not far behind (especially if disk sizes continue to grow).
    >
    > Does that refer to physical disk sizes growing to global scale, or disk
    > contents sufficiently capacious to encompass the entire store of
    > terran information?

    Or both <http://terraserver-usa.com/About.aspx?n=AboutTech>.

    I'd always considered the use of SI prefixes to be slang, first amongst technical communities such as hackers (certainly its use as such is mentioned in jargon.txt) and then later the business community, so if I'm right not only has this thread gone into off-topic standards but it has completely left standards altogether.