RE: ZWJ/ZWNJ - Are they legal to use with combining marks?

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 14:48:51 EDT

    At 08:08 AM 8/15/2003, Paul Nelson \(TYPOGRAPHY\) wrote:

    > >I understood that ZWJ/ZWNJ followed by a combining mark gives a
    >defective
    > >combining sequence, which is not illegal but whose rendering is
    >undefined
    > >- and which Uniscribe tends to render with a dotted circle.

    >This is not a correct understanding. Uniscribe does not insert dotted
    >circles based on the presence of ZWJ/ZWNJ.

    Indeed. However, perhaps you can explain why

             alef hatafsegol ZWNJ meteg

    produces

             alef hatafsegol dotted-circle meteg

    in Word 2002. Is this simply a Word bug/feature? The same sequence renders
    correctly in Wordpad and Notepad, so I know that Uniscribe is not to blame.
    I'd really like to understand why this happens.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    The sight of James Cox from the BBC's World at One,
    interviewing Robin Oakley, CNN's man in Europe,
    surrounded by a scrum of furiously scribbling print
    journalists will stand for some time as the apogee of
    media cannibalism.
                             - Emma Brockes, at the EU summit