Re: Unicode 4.0 is online at last!

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 19:16:32 EDT

    On 15/08/2003 15:18, Jim Allan wrote:

    > Ah!
    >
    > But I still see "LATIN" coming out perfectly as "LATIN" in small
    > capitals.
    >
    > I lucked out.
    >
    > Investigation shows that my system is picking up exactly the right
    > small capital characters from the PUA in the fonts Pigiarniq and
    > Pigiarniq Italic available free from the Government of Nunavut at
    > http://www.gov.nu.ca/font.htm and
    > http://www.gov.nu.ca/Nunavut/English/font.
    >
    > (The small capitals are missing from the light, bold, and heavy fonts
    > in the Pigiarniq family.)
    >
    > These fonts are attributed to Tiro Typeworks, so perhaps John Hudson
    > can explain this lucky happenstance.
    >
    > Jim Allan

    Ah, the joys of using the PUA (the "corporate user subarea" even) "by
    private agreement among cooperating users". That phrase from the
    standard (section 15.7) reminds me of the legal jargon ("consenting
    adults" etc) restricting some other activities which are widely
    considered immoral!

    Peter, not Paul

    --
    Peter Kirk