Re: Handwritten EURO sign (off topic?)

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 13:18:44 EDT

    Peter Kirk scripsit:

    > USA and UK do use this alternative system, except that the US gallon is
    > different from the British one (exactly 20% smaller I think),

    For the record, it's true that the Imperial gallon has 20 fluid ounces
    and the Fred Flintstone gallon only 16, *but* it's also true that
    U.S. fluid ounces are about 4% bigger than Imperial ones. So in fact
    a U.S. gallon is about 83% of an Imperial one. Quarts and pints are
    corresponding.

    --
    "There is no real going back.  Though I         John Cowan
    may come to the Shire, it will not seem         jcowan@reutershealth.com