RE: [Way OT] Beer measurements

From: Jill.Ramonsky@Aculab.com
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 07:06:01 EDT

    Personally, I don't see why we have to sell beer (or anything else for that
    matter) in integer multiples of any kind of "units" at all. Why can't we
    just bring an arbitrarily sized, partially full, glass to the bar and say to
    the guy at the bar: "Could you fill it up to about HERE please?".

    It's a good system. It works for petrol pumps. Nobody in England even
    NOTICED when petrol pumps went metric, because it made bugger all difference
    to the reality of how things worked.

    What exactly is wrong with the notion of filling a British pint glass with
    beer and charging it to the till as zero point something litres?

    Jill