Re: [Way OT] Beer measurements (was: Re: Handwritten EURO sign)

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 17:04:53 EDT

    Ted Hopp wrote:

    > Sorry, it would have to be Greenbank, not Washington.

    Greenbank. Hm... has a nice ring to it. Greenbank... Greenbank Mean
    Time. I could live with that.

    On a (hardly) more serious note, Mark Davis wrote:

    > this horrible non-decimal measurement system the US
    > has for time: the number of units per other unit vary all
    > across the board: 60..61 : 1, 60 : 1, 24 : 1, 28..31 : 1,
    > 12 : 1, 365..366 : 1 -- awful.

    If you don't want to give up the year as a unit, you will always be
    stuck with this ratio of 365.24 days to the year; no way you can
    change that. Live with it.
    We can discard the months, of course, the length of the months isn't
    related to anything anymore; the weeks can go as well, and if we
    just divide the day up in 100000 small units, we've done away with
    most of the illogics.

    > At least with inches, feet, and miles, the number of feet per
    > mile don't vary depending on which mile one is talking about!

    Well, not all of those measurements are the same size. Disregarding
    nautical miles, there's still the matter of the yards. Did I mention
    that my front yard is not the same size as my back yard?

    Pim Blokland