Re: [Way OT] Beer measurements (was: Re: Handwritten EURO sign)

From: Ted Hopp (ted@newslate.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 13:52:06 EDT

    On Tuesday, August 19, 2003 12:46 PM, Raymond Mercier wrote:
    > At some time in the 70's when I was at conference to mark the centenary of
    > the Greenwich meridian I learned that the French agreed to give up the
    Paris
    > meridian if the British agreed to go metric-and that was over a century
    ago
    > !

    Since we're speaking of the French (we are, aren't we?) what ever happened
    to French Revolutionary Metric Time?

    > Maybe the U.S. could be bribed to go metric if they were allowed to have
    > Washington as the standard meridian.

    Sorry, it would have to be Greenbank, not Washington. However, the radio
    telescope there fell over in a storm years ago, so never mind.

    Personally, I prefer base 60 and base 16 to base 10. (But please, this is
    not an attempt to link this thread, whatever it is, to the Hexadecimal
    thread. 50159344557)

    Ted

    Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
    ZigZag, Inc.
    ted@newSLATE.com
    +1-301-990-7453

    newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
       ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/