Character codes for Egyptian transliteration

From: Paul James Cowie (pjamescowie@ancientneareast.net)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 05:59:13 EDT

    Can anyone point me in the right direction for the codes for characters
    commonly employed in ancient Egyptian transliteration (NB: not the
    hieroglyphs themselves!) and based on Gardiner's Egyptian Grammar?

    I'm thinking especially of the following:

    the sign used for aleph (looks like a 3, but isn't, obviously)

    the sign used for yod (looks like a i with a right ring tick above it)

    the sign used interchangeably for q (looks like a k with a dot beneath
    it)

    Any help most gratefully received,

    Paul James Cowie

    London, UK and Sydney, Australia

    Editor, http://www.ancientneareast.net/
    Area Supervisor, Tel Rehov Excavations, Israel
    Committee Member, Friends of the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology

    PhD Candidate, Department of Ancient History and Archaeology, Macquarie
    University, Sydney, Australia