Re: Proposed Draft UTR #31 - Syntax Characters

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 16:12:46 EDT

    On 22/08/2003 10:08, Jony Rosenne wrote:

    >Sof Pasuq is the equivalent of a period or full stop.

    A question here for clarification. One of the few modern Hebrew books I
    have, a teach yourself course, has dialogues in which speakers' names
    and quote introductions are followed by what looks to me like sof pasuq
    (two diamonds above one another). These are clearly functions of colon
    in English, and indeed colons are used in the English translations of
    the dialogues. The same book uses a diamond shaped full stop at the ends
    of sentences. Should these apparent sof pasuqs be encoded as sof pasuq,
    or as colon?

    If both colon and sof pasuq are used in Hebrew with nearly identical
    glyphs, that strengthens my case for including sof pasuq in Marco's
    list. It also implies that fonts designed for Hebrew need colons with
    suitable glyphs with diamonds in place of dots, something which many
    don't currently have.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)