Re: Faulty ligatures in Adobe PhotoShop

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 11:38:31 EDT

    Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin <antonio at tuvalkin dot web dot pt> wrote:

    > My copy of Photoshop 7 has an interesting image in its (HTML format)
    > help file, page <1_16_4_13.html> on "Using ligatures and old style
    > numerals". It shows three examples of «Type with Ligatures option
    > unselected and selected»: "ct", "fi" and "fh".
    >
    > The bad part of it is that the ligated characters shown (in the
    > sencond and third examples) seem to include a long "s" instead of an
    > "f"... > <ty_06.gif> attached for reference.

    There is no "fh" ligature in Unicode, so Photoshop may have been trying
    to substitute the "closest" available ligature to the one you wanted
    (which is wrong, of course).

    Substituting an unligated ſi (U+017F + U+0069) for fi (U+0066 + U+0069)
    makes no sense at all. If the current font doesn't contain an fi
    ligature (U+FB01), Photoshop should just leave the combination alone.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/