Re: Proposed Draft UTR #31 - Syntax Characters

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 11:21:43 EDT

    <Jill dot Ramonsky at Aculab dot com> wrote:

    > I don't expect, however, to have to DOWNgrade my version of Unicode.
    > And I can't be expected to store EVERY numbered version of Unicode on
    > my machine.

    You don't "store a version of Unicode on your machine." Unicode is a
    coded character set, not an application.

    What you have stored on your machine is a number of applications, many
    of which support Unicode, and some of which may support a different
    version of Unicode from others.

    (OK, some of us do store a particular version of the Unicode *data
    files* on our machines, but that has no bearing on the level of Unicode
    support provided by applications.)

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/