Re: TLG and Beta code

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 14:20:46 EDT

    At 05:37 AM 8/27/2003, Raymond Mercier wrote:

    >I know this is common in the TLG, but as you say, they assume it is just
    >omicron (an assumption repeated in a message just received from them).
    >But, I am trying to get across that that is wrong: it represents neither
    >papyri nor Byzantine MSS.

    >So is there not a good reason to treat this as a distinct character, to be
    >assigned to a Unicode codepoint ?

    Raymond, based on what you have said, I would agree. A variety of visual
    representations, clearly distinct from the omicron as formed in the same
    documents, suggests a separate character. Would you be able to write up a
    proposal to encode such a character, or at least an informational document
    including illustrations of different forms of the Greek zero, preferably in
    proximity to differently formed omicrons? Nothing is going to happen unless
    the UTC receive such a document, and you sound like the best person to
    prepare one.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    You need a good operator to make type. If it were a
    DIY affair the caster would only run for about five
    minutes before the DIYer burned his butt off.
                                           - Jim Rimmer