Re: Punctuation symbols for partial cuneiform characters

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 15:02:32 EDT

    Michael Everson scripsit:

    > Hence, these characters have perfectly correct names for their
    > function. And they are completely different from the half-brackets.
    > The floor and ceiling characters are the same height as a square
    > bracket just without one of the feet.

    Correct.

    > >The name police didn't know what they were? ;-)
    >
    > The Name Police don't know anything whatsoever about mathematics as
    > ye well know. (Floor and ceiling function indeed. I suppose there is
    > an attic and basement function, and a tornado-storm-cellar function?)

    No, indeed. Even the hopeless innumerate should be able to grasp
    the ceiling and floor functions, however: the floor of four and a half
    is four, whereas its ceiling is five. Some speak of rounding down and
    rounding up respectively.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
    "The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his own