Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 06:16:54 EDT

    On 19/09/2003 00:47, Kent Karlsson wrote:

    >>>How should a text rendering library deal with <SPACE,
    >>>dbl_diacritic>? Should the character after the diacritic be
    >>>drawn under the right half of the diacritic,
    >>>

    >>yes
    >>

    >Nitpick: under or above, as appropriate, the right "half" of the dbl
    >diacritic. There are some dbl diacritics that are below (combining
    >class 233, in the current cc numbering). The double diacritics aren't
    >really intended for use with bidi scripts, ...

    While we are nitpicking... This may be true of the currently defined
    double diacritics. But there may be double diacritics not yet defined in
    RTL scripts. This thread started with a suggestion that Hebrew holam
    might be considered as a double diacritic, at least in that it tends to
    be centred above the gap between the preceding and following characters,
    and a similar analysis might be suitable for the Arabic hamza currently
    being discussed on the bidi list. And I can see that people might well
    want to use the existing double diacritics e.g. to indicate ligatures or
    double articulation in Hebrew or Arabic script phonetic transcriptions.

    >... but logically the character
    >after a dbl diacritic would ideally in RTL go under the LEFT "half" of
    >the diacritic (I don't expect implementations to actually do the
    >latter).

    They might not have to do this in the current version of Unicode,
    because of the accident that no double diacritics have so far been
    defined for RTL scripts, but they might have to in the next one. So it
    might be sensible to avoid using direction-bound code here.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)