Re: Mojibake on my Web pages

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 11:32:42 EDT

    Stefan Persson <alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel at yahoo dot se> wrote:

    > Is there no way to force the browsers to use the encoding as specified
    > in the documents instead of that specified by the server? I'm having
    > this problem myself with a different server, and would like to find a
    > solution to it.

    I can always visit View | Encoding and change the setting to UTF-8 on a
    one-time basis. But as soon as the page is refreshed, it reverts to
    whatever the server specifies.

    I don't know if there's a way to teach IE that a given URL should
    *always* be overridden to UTF-8, but even if there was, that would only
    help me and those who know the secret. It should work for everybody.

    > It is very irritating that the HTTP header overrules the <meta> tag,
    > since it seems that the error is more often in the HTTP header than in
    > the <meta> tag.

    Indeed. You'd think if the author (or software) included a <meta> tag
    AND an explicit declaration in the XML header, he (or it) knew what he
    (or it) was doing and the tag(s) should be honored.

    Apologies to the list if this is getting OT.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/