Re: Mojibake on my Web pages

From: jon@spin.ie
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 06:06:17 EDT

    > > Maybe including a BOM would help the browser realise something was
    > > awry, but it's just as likely to think the author just wrote an
    > > invalid document that began with

    I really have to stop using this web-2-mail app, it managed to mangle my representation of a mangled BOM!

    > I've been told, hee hee hee, that the one thing I must NEVER NEVER do in
    > a Web page is to begin it with a BOM. But I admit I haven't tried that
    > yet. How funny would that be if it solved the problem?

    Well with UTF-16 you really should use a BOM but with UTF-8 there was a bit of a debate which finally settled on the opinion that it was OK to do so. However browsers are not necessarily going to agree with that opinion. Anyway, it couldn't hurt to try.