Mojibake on my Web pages

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 01:40:26 EDT

    Apologies in advance to anyone who visits my Web site and sees garbage
    characters, a.k.a. "mojibake." It isn't my fault.

    Adelphia is currently having a character-set problem with their HTTP
    servers. Apparently they are serving all pages as ISO 8859-1 even if
    they are marked as being encoded in another character set, such as
    UTF-8. So, instead of seeing U+2022 BULLET on my page, for example,
    you'll see:

        â€¢

    If you manually change the encoding in your browser to UTF-8, or
    download the page and display it as a local file, everything looks fine
    because Adelphia's server is no longer calling the shot. Their tech
    support people acknowledge that the problem is at their end and said
    they would look into it.

    I understand that having the "Unicode Encoded" logo on my page next to
    these garbage characters may not reflect well on Unicode, especially to
    newbies. I'm considering putting a disclaimer at the top of my pages,
    but I'm waiting to see how quickly they solve the problem.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/