Re: Internal Representation of Unicode

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 05:30:27 EDT

    On 25/09/2003 20:52, myrkraverk@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >John Cowan writes:
    > > The problem is that multiple accents above are quite common -- Vietnamese
    > > depends on them heavily. There may also be multiple accents below,
    > > for all I know.
    >
    >That does not have to be a problem, as long as there are no more than
    >255 accents and combinations of them. As for vietnamese, I just don't
    >know how many there are, or how many characters they use.
    >

    >Johann

    In Hebrew there are more than 255 accents and combinations of them, if
    you count vowel points, dagesh, shin and sin dots as accents. There are
    potentially many thousands of combinations. From a quick search,
    something like 700-800 are in actual use in the Hebrew Bible.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)